Sunday, February 17, 2008

Smoked Salmon Quesadillas


It always cracks me up when I have to publish a photo that shows something half eaten (like this one or my puffed pastry tart.) Actually, it just means that it was so irresistibly scrumptious that I simply couldn't wait to dig in. This was a satisfying late night snack/dinner I came up with one night after work. It also would probably make a really good hors d'oeuvre for a party if it was cut into smaller triangles or if smaller tortillas were used (maybe using a 3" round cookie cutter to make individual tiny ones? cute!) I think it could have used a little sour cream, but alas, there was none to be found at midnight in the pescetarian's kitchen on a Friday night! It was still really good though I WILL be making this again-it was so tasty! (next time with sour cream:)

RECIPE
Smoked Salmon Quesadillas
  • 1-2 ounces smoked salmon (I like cedar or alder wood smoked, but gravlax or Scottish style would work, I'm sure)
  • 2 taco sized flour tortillas
  • a good sprinkling of shredded pepper jack cheese
  • 2 tbsp whipped cream cheese
  • about 1/4 -1/2 tsp minced fresh jalapeƱo pepper(more will make it hotter)
  • 1/2 tsp chopped cilantro
  • 1/8 c chopped scallion
  • scant 1/8 tsp cumin
  • cooking oil spray
  • snipped chives for garnish
  • mix the cream cheese with the pepper, cilantro, scallion, and cumin.
  • spread one of the tortillas with the cream cheese mixture
  • spray a small skillet with oil and heat over medium heat
  • add the prepared tortilla to the skillet with the cream cheese side up
  • arrange the smoked salmon on top so it is spread rather evenly
  • sprinkle the scallions over the salmon and then sprinkle the cheese
  • top with the remaining tortilla and cook until bottom tortilla is starting to brown
  • slide the quesadilla onto a plate and spray the skillet with oil once more and place the other, raw tortilla in the pan to brown
  • when cheese is fully melted, flip the browned tortillas onto a cutting board, cut into 8 triangles and top with the chives.

1 comment:

Jeena said...

Hi there my name is Jeena and I have started a food recipe forum that I thought you would like to join here Click here for food recipe forum

I would love to see you on there to chat about food and cooking you can talk about anything you like and start your very own topics. :-)
or see my main food recipe website Jeenas food recipe site

Hope to see you soon

Thanks

Jeena x