Thursday, December 20, 2007

Wild Mushroom Risotto-the missing link


Do you believe in symbolism in life, that maybe coincidences are anything but? I myself vacillate, sometimes believing yes, and some times thinking no, kind of like wondering if dreams really mean something.
For instance, I have had the pleasure of seeing a very nice young man recently, and we talk on the phone some nights. Well,yesterday evening, I made this wild mushroom risotto, a wintertime, stick to your ribs staple of mine that is one of my all time favorites. As soon as I was done stuffing myself, I received a phone call from the nice young man, and he had also just finished eating-one of his favorite dishes-that he had stuffed himself with-and guess what it was? Yep, wild mushroom risotto! Now, I can't even begin to say what, if any, significance this fluke may or may not have, what possible correlation or link, but it's genuinely peculiar, right? What could it mean? Something? Nothing? Perhaps risotto has a more profound, far reaching impact on the universe than we realize...or maybe it's just damn tasty! (I wonder whose was tastier, mine or the restaurant's? I'll have to ask him.)

RECIPE:
Wild Mushroom Risotto
  • 1/3 cup of dried porcini mushrooms
  • 4 oz oyster mushrooms, wiped and sliced
  • 4 oz shitake mushrooms, wiped and sliced (stems discarded)
  • 4 oz cremini mushrooms, wiped and sliced
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 2, plus 1, tbsp butter
  • 2 leeks, throughly washed and sliced, white and tender green parts only
  • 1 clove garlic, minced finely
  • 1 3/4 c arborio rice
  • 4 c vegetable stock
  • 1/2 c parmesan cheese
  • zest of 1/2 a lemon
  • 3 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
  • salt and fresh ground black pepper
  • soak the dried mushrooms in 1 c very hot water for 45 minutes, drain, chop and reserve the soaking liquid
  • combine the broth, wine (if using), and the reserved soaking liquid in a small saucepan and place over medium low heat
  • melt the oil and 2 tbsp butter with 1/4 c of the stock in a large pot over medium heat, add the leeks and garlic, and cook till tender, 10 minutes, stirring occasionally
  • raise heat to medium high, and add all the mushrooms, cook until mushrooms begin to release their juices, stirring, about 8 minutes
  • add the rice and stir to coat in the oils and until the rice just starts to become transparent on the edges, about 3 minutes
  • using a ladle, ladle the warm veg stock mixture1/2c-3/4c at a time, stirring into the rice constantly until the liquid is reserved-keep repeating ladleful by ladleful, stirring constantly, until the rice is al dente, which means that it is done, but not mushy-this will take some time and constant stirring, up to 30 minutes-you kind of just have to keep testing the rice-if you run out of stock, substitute warm water
  • remove from heat, stir in the parsley, lemon zest, 1 tbsp butter, and Parmesan and season with black pepper and salt as needed
  • Serve HOT with extra black pepper and Parmesan to taste

2 comments:

jerry said...

I make a similar recipe (I think it is hidden away on my blog somewhere . . . I really need better tags). I like to finish the risotto off with a sprinkle of good truffle oil. Perfect for the earthy flavour.

teeth whitening said...

I have never tried making a Risotto, but you make it sound so good! I have to go to the store for my groceries today, so I will pick up the things I need to make it while I am there.
I also like the sounds of Jerry's idea of using the truffle oil.