Thursday, October 25, 2007

Easy Peezy Cheese Tortellini Soup

This is a quick 'semi homemade' recipe I concocted with a certain friend and co-worker in mind. She's a busy mom taking care of two elementary school aged kids, who works part time, AND goes to school full time! On top of that, she's always there for her friends and family, is active in her church, community, and school sports and is just a really terrific person all around. So Lisa, this one's for you, and it only takes 15 minutes!

RECIPE:
Vegetarian Cheese Tortellini Soup
serves4
  • 4 c vegetable stock (I like Imagine's no chicken broth) plus 1 c water and 1/2 tsp kosher salt
  • 1 9 oz package of fresh cheese tortellini (found in the dairy section of most supermarkets)
  • 1 handful of pre-cut carrot matchsticks
  • 2 handfuls of baby spinach, roughly chopped
  • a sprinkling of pre-shredded parmesan cheese and fresh ground black pepper
  • bring the stock, water, and salt to a boil in a large pot, add the carrot, then add the tortellini and cook according to package directions until tender (about eight minutes)
  • meanwhile, put 1/2 a handful each of the chopped baby spinach leaves into the bottom of 4 bowls
  • top the spinach in the bowls evenly with the hot broth and tortellini, sprinkle each with the cheese and freshly ground black pepper
PS - I brought this soup in for Kelly and she really liked it - it's kind of like an Italian style vegetarian won-ton soup, without the msg.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank You Kristen. I am just a pathetic cook!!!

leosatter said...

Maybe you can help me out with something…? I want to order all of my food online from now on because of various reasons, but I don’t know where to go for quality food. I have tried 2 companies so far, Fresh Dining, and and Celebrity Foods, but I wanna get others I can try out. Do you know of any? The main thing I’ve ordered so far is steak. I guess you can say, I’m a steak junkie. LOL!!! From what I have found out (from what I have ordered so far) I think I am able to regulate the quality of beef I buy. I hate going to a store and getting that crappy slab of beef that I have to cut down until there is like nothing left. Hahaha!!!! (its so true though) Anyhow, sorry that I made this comment so long. If you can help me out or point me in a direction where I might find more quality foods online, I would greatly appreciate it. Have a good day or night! (depending on when you read this) LOL!!!!

The Pescetarian said...

leosatter, as this is a blog dedicated in part to the plight of factory farmed animals, the best advice about beef I could give you would be to buy free range. just google it in quotes and a bunch of places to order from will pop up...otherwise, i'd say abstain from eating beef at all!