Sunday, September 16, 2007

Tofurkey!

Tofurkey- quintessential vegetarian fodder and fare

Since I almost always have my 2-year old with me when I go to the market, I usually have to adjust my vision into eagle's eye mode in order to zoom in on only the items on my list, swoop down on them with amazing speed, and toss them from talons to cart as quickly as possible. However, channeling my inner totem doesn't exactly allow for much browsing action, so every now and then, I purposefully decide to go solo and have a little fun. Being alone without the usual grocery games (i.e. standing up in the cart, knocking over spice displays, and screaming at the top of the lungs for a balloon) allows me time to thoughtfully and thoroughly peruse all of the various vegetarian products. It also affords me the opportunity to discover new culinary treats to write about here for you!


RECIPE:
Sun-dried Tomato Italian Veggie Sausages with Peppers and Onions
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 large onion, cut in half and sliced
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1 package of Tofurkey Sun-dried Tomato Italian Sausages
  • 1/2 each - red, orange, yellow, and green bell peppers cut into strips
  • 1 tbsp fresh oregano or 1 tsp dried
  • 2 tbsp tomato paste (I love Amore tomato paste imported from Italy because it comes in a squeezy, aluminum tube and can be stored 'indefinitely' in the refrigerator)
  • 1/2 c water
  • salt and pepper
  • heat the olive oil in a heavy skillet over medium heat
  • add the onions and cook 2 or 3 minutes, then add the garlic, cook another minute, add the water, tomato paste, and 2 tsp salt and stir until combined
  • add the peppers and sausage, and bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook another 30 minutes or until the onions and peppers are melt in your mouth soft
  • season with the oregano and salt and pepper
The sausages and peppers could easily be served on a nice Portuguese style roll. I choose to serve it with one of the packaged foods I wanted to try, Alexia Olive Oil and Sea Salt Oven Fries (pictured below -reviews follow.)

REVIEWS:

YUMMY! The Tofurkey Sun-dried Tomato Italian Sausages are SO GOOD. I bet they'd even be good on the grill. The texture was a little denser than meat sausages, but less greasy and so deliciously tasty and filling. The sun dried tomato and basil really made the flavor pop, and accompanied by the peppers, oregano, and onion, I felt like I was eating at a Brooklyn Italian Festival. I will definitely make these this way again, but I will serve them on lightly toasted and buttered Portuguese style rolls, seriously...just like Nonna used to make! (well, my Italian friend's grandma anyway.)
Grade - A (would be A+ if the texture was a little less compact)

As for the Alexia Olive Oil and Sea Salt Oven Fries, well, I wish I could be as enthusiastic. They were decent, but just not, well, scrumptious. They needed more salt and were rather dry. Maybe I'll try tossing the other half of the bag with some more olive oil, salt, and rosemary before cooking them. Grade - C (nice try, but seriously lacking)

No comments: