Sunday, August 26, 2007

Pennsylvania Sweet Corn



I just love summer...the light of the evenings, swimming at the community pool, picking blueberries at a local orchard, eating watermelon on the stoop of the front porch, and, of course, buying fresh Pennsylvania sweet corn from the side of the road. I've been a little down with thoughts of Labor Day approaching, schools starting, and pools closing, so I decided to cheer myself up and relish the last days of the season with one of my favorites- Corn Chowder made from locally grown corn. Like with most of the soups I make, I used an alternative to cream to give the soup texture by simmering the shucked, de-kerneled cobs in milk and pureeing half of the soup in my magic bullet at the end. It helps keep the waistline in check for next year's bathing suit, but is still hearty, satisfying and packed to the brim with flavors of summer, yum!

RECIPE:
Corn Chowder

  • 3 cobs of corn, shucked and de-kerneled
  • the corn kernels from the cobs
  • 1 tbsp butter
  • 1 c vegetable stock
  • one small onion, finely chopped
  • 1 large potato, peeled and cut into a small dice
  • 1 celery stalk, cut into a small dice
  • 1 carrot, peeled and cut into a small dice
  • 2 c milk
  • 1-2 tbsp fresh chopped parsley
  • 1/2 tsp salt (or to taste)
  • 1/4 tsp white pepper
  • melt the butter in a medium pot and add the stock, onions and celery
  • bring to a boil and then simmer for 5 minutes
  • add the milk, the carrots, the potatoes, and cobs, bring to a boil and then simmer, covered, 10 minutes
  • remove the cobs and add the corn and continue to simmer, uncovered, until kernels are tender
  • remove about 3/4 c of the vegetables from the soup with a ladle or slotted spoon and puree in a blender, food processor, or magic bullet, and return to the soup
  • add the salt and pepper and parsley and stir well to heat through
as a note, my 2 year old LOVED this soup, which is amazing as he's been insisting on eating tofu pups, watermelon, and macaroni and cheese for, oh, the past month!!!

3 comments:

5%C. said...

Oh lordy, this looks ridiculously delicious. I love soup (especially cold, in summertime), I love corn, I hate heavy cream...and your recipe is therefore a must-try. I'll have to wait for a slightly less absurd time than 1:00AM, though. Hmm...2AM?
>rr<

The Pescetarian said...

cooking in the wee hours can be so much fun.

JennDZ - The Leftover Queen said...

I love fresh corn chowder! But I have never made it as I can never seem to let go of the corm on the cob long enough to actually cut the kernels off, before eating them!

Welcome to The Foodie Blogroll!