Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Experimenting

I used to love grilled chicken on salad, and of course everyone already knows about the torch I carry for my old flame, bacon. So when I came across the new display case of Morning Star Farm's products at my local grocery, it hit me...A VEGETARIAN COBB SALAD! Of course being that I was at the local Shurfine Market and not my beloved Wegman's, there was no gourmet lettuces to be found let alone watercress or chives. Yet my creativity and curiosity had been piqued, and being that there were some lovely firm, ripe, hass avocados, I decided that a romaine heart and a red onion would have to suffice. Yay! An absolutely "ishus" (bambino's pronunciation of delicious:-) Cobb Salad AND a product review just for you!

RECIPE:
Vegetarian Cobb Salad for Two
  • one romaine heart, washed, dried and chopped
  • one hard boiled egg, chopped
  • 1/2 c blue cheese crumbles
  • 8 strips Morning Star Farms Chik n' Strips
  • 4 strips Morning Star Farms Veggie Bacon Strips
  • half of a hass avocado, diced
  • 6 cherry tomatoes, halved and quartered
  • 1/8 of a small red onion, finely diced
  • cobb salad dressing (recipe below)
  • brown the chik n' strips in some vegetable oil over medium heat (about three minutes)and remove from skillet to a small bowl
  • brown the veggie bacon strips in some vegetable oil over medium heat (1 minute each side), remove from skillet, drain and cool on a paper towel, and crumble
  • to plate the salad, evenly arrange lettuce on two large plates and top each with half of the chik n' strips, half of the crumbled veggie bacon strips, half of the egg and cheese, and half of the veggies
  • drizzle each plate with the dressing and serve immediately

Dressing
  • 1/2 clove garlic
  • 1/8 c water
  • 1/8 c red wine vinegar
  • 1/4 c extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
  • quick squeeze of a lemon
  • 1 heaping tsp mayonnaise
  • 1 tsp dijon mustard
  • 1 small handful of fresh parsley
  • Mix all ingredients in a food processor, blender, or magic bullet (alternatively, finely mince garlic and parsley and mix altogether in a dressing container or other covered container)
REVIEW:
I tried both of the products after I browned them, and I have to say I was pretty impressed. The chik'n strips had a very meaty texture to them and were seasoned really nicely. The veggie bacon strips were not so convincing texture wise, but were very tasty. I think they'd be really good on an egg and cheese toasted english muffin (there's an idea). All in all, I'd recommend these products and they were just great on this salad.

No comments: