Tuesday, June 19, 2007

A Herb Garden

I simply adore using fresh herbs in cooking, and since it's summertime, I thought it would be a great idea to plant some of my own. All it took was a trip to the nursery, a bag of organic soil, a big terracotta pot, a spade, a pair of gloves and about 30 minute's time. It was even easier than I’d imagined!


I chose to grow flat leaf Italian parsley, rosemary, thyme, Genovese basil, and oregano in my new, shiny, terracotta pot and my mint in the ground, mostly because mint grows like wildfire but also because I want to try and salvage the rosemary, thyme, and oregano as indoor plants this winter (it's easier to transition a plant to an indoor pot if it was grown in a pot from the start, I've heard.).


immediately after planting
(clockwise from left center - flat leaf parsley, rosemary, thyme, Genovese basil, and oregano)


The mint, all alone because it just cleverly doesn't want any roommates.




It's been about two weeks now, and here are my herbs are thriving. With daily watering and plenty of sunshine, they're coming along quite nicely, no?
I've already made some fresh basil pesto pasta (I used 2 cups of the basil and it hardly even shows!), a mushroom and scallop casserole with fresh thyme and parsley breadcrumbs, AND I am planning on making fresh mint mojitos for the fourth of July tomorrow, YUMMY!

Not to brag, but I am starting to think this whole herb garden notion was really quite an inspired and useful design, I'm loving it!

1 comment:

Laura G said...

Kristin, This is awesome. I made it a favorite place. I think I will try your basil pesto pasta (easy - a necessity when you get home between 5 and 5:30 each day). Pasta is a mainstay in this household because of the time constraints - what's faster ? Keep this up - I love it !! Laura